These days, every homeowner is looking for places to cut costs and save money. One of the best ways to do just that is to work smarter—not harder—when it comes to your home maintenance. Working “smarter” means investing in preventative maintenance to avoid major repairs, bringing in a professional for high-risk projects, and finding clever workarounds for common home issues. In this article, we’ll review how you can do all three of those things or you can also visit the page.
Preventative maintenance is worth the investment
The RMS Heating and Cooling company recommend that homeowners set aside between 1-2% of their home’s total value for ongoing annual maintenance. At first glance, that might seem like a lot of money for upkeep—and it’s not even being spent on anything fun, like a new kitchen or backyard. However “boring” it might seem, preventative maintenance and home upkeep are crucial if you want to avoid major (and majorly expensive!) issues down the road. Visit cmheating.com/mountlake-terrace-new-location/ to see if they service your area.
According to experts like Friends & Family HVAC, consider your air conditioner and furnace. It’s recommended that you hire an air conditioning contractor or a commercial hvac professional twice per year—once in the spring, and then again in the fall—to perform a seasonal tune-up and other air conditioning services or an air conditioning repair if needed. This preventative air conditioning maintenance and air conditioning service is actually really important: not only does a professional tune-up reduce your risk of a breakdown, but it also may preserve the manufacturer’s warranty protecting the system against premature component failure. Without that warranty, you might find yourself having to spend thousands on a new system years ahead of when you should have had to otherwise. If you’re looking for a professional, this AC Repair in Port St. Lucie can help you.
Caring for a home is an all-seasons job. From clearing out your gutters and downspouts in the fall to maintaining the basement sump pump in the spring, there’s no shortage of things to do to keep your home in its prime shape. Learn more about gutter protection on this site. Your garage door also needs inspection from time to time. This way, you’ll know when it’s time for a garage door repair. Then you’ll see that the fruits of your labor are certainly worth it: your home will need fewer emergency repairs and retain its value better in years to come. Read more about maintenance here.
Do the small things yourself, but hire an expert for the big projects
For most homeowners, proper home maintenance is something best learned from experience. As you get more comfortable working in your home, you’ll be able to handle your own custom deck maintenance, clean out your own gutters, and patch up your own drywall. However, there are some projects that you should call in a professional for, no matter how handy you are around the house, you can find contractors for almost anything, even ones who specialize in decks, roofing or plumbing. Generally speaking, these include:
- HVAC Services: As we alluded to before, air conditioning and furnace maintenance is important. However, you’ll want to bring in a certified hvac expert for ac service, as most manufacturers include an important caveat in their warranties: opening up and working on your own system generally voids it. So it is extremely important to hire an expert residential ac professional to do the air conditioning repairs and other ac service. You can use Mac-Vik Plumbing and Heating to improve your ac repair in lakewood.
- Plumbing Services: Anything that involves leaks, drain cleaning, or water damage is best left to a professional residential and commercial plumbing contractor. With enough time, water is incredibly destructive to a home. If you have a leaking pipe, a faulty sump pump, or another major plumbing issue, you need to bring in a licensed plumber in California who knows exactly what they’re doing.
- Roofing: As you can imagine, working on a roof can be incredibly dangerous without the right training or equipment that is why it’s important to hire a professional roofer or some roofing contractors for roof installation, roofing repair, or roof replacement work. When your roof’s condition goes beyond simple repairs, Concord roofing companies can replace it with a stronger, more modern one. If you are looking to replace your home’s old roof trusses, you may get a new one from a professional Timber Roof Truss Supplier. Putting aside the risk of falling, however, it’s also easy for a non-professional to damage a roof or compromise its ability to deal with water and moisture. It’s best to call in a pro to help with roof insurance claims. If you’re looking for a company to help with your roof repairs, check out Roofers Dublin – Roof Repairs Dublin.
Make use of these life hacks
Of course, outside of high-risk, big-ticket projects, there are a lot of things you can address in your own home. To save money, we recommend making use of “lifehacks”—creative tips and tricks that allow you to solve small issues without spending too much. Here are a few examples:
- Is your toilet wasting a ton of water with every flush? Long-term, you may want to have a plumber replace your toilet with a water-efficient model and a Drain cleaning company to constantly check your plumbing. However, in the interim, you can reduce the amount of water used with every flush by placing a heavy, solid item—such as a brick—at the bottom of the tank, displacing water.
- If your in-sink garbage disposal is starting to smell, run some lemon peels through it. The acidity of citrus can help clean and sanitize the blades, leaving your sink smelling a lot nicer. Then, run some ice cubes and rock salt through the disposal to sharpen up the dull blades.
- Have your kids turned your home into an art gallery? You can remove crayon easily from walls by using a hairdryer to heat up the wax. Then, just wipe away, and the wall should look good as new!
If you’re looking for even more ways to save money through both preventative maintenance and lifehacks, check out this new infographic from the team at ABC Cooling, Heating & Plumbing in Hayward, California.